Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Living in Boxville

I live in a place called Boxville now. It used to be called "The Apartment" where my family lives, but it's thoroughly Boxville now. There's no colour in Boxville but brown, and it smells like a forest of cardboard and adhesive.

Need a plate? Have a paper one, because the proper ones are living in Boxville.
Need a chair? Have the floor, because there's only one chair left in this apartment that didn't move to Boxville.

I don't even have a bed anymore... I have a mattress on the floor like I did when I was a child for a couple of months.

Today was sort of an eventful day. I spent a good deal of it lounging around on my bed before the movers started packing my room, only to go to the current luggage holding area (former guest room) to find my dad sitting on the floor zoning out. Mom was on her computer (and the only chair in the house), so I put my blankets on the floor for Dad and I to sit on. We ate Boon Tong Kee leftovers, which was fantastically good. I'm going to miss Boon Tong Kee a lot... everyone in Singapore ought to go there at least once! I then had a terrific headache and ended up napping on the floor. When I woke up, my room was only a Boxville replica of what it had been before.

When I moved from Bedford, I had a funny feeling the room would somehow remember that I grew up in it. I'm not sure if this room will remember me, or if this apartment will even be standing next year. However, I'm going to miss the built-in bookcase that helped me pick this room, and the lovely, if outdated, blue paisley bathroom. As I look up from the mattress on the floor, I notice that this apartment has really high ceilings. It's a beautiful place, and I wish Singapore wouldn't tear it down because it's outdated. It's old-fashioned, but sometimes we all need a little of that.

Someone who read my blog for a good long while before moving to Singapore herself asked me if I'd keep blogging here. I won't be, but the new URL is here. I'm pretty confident that I'm going to be blogging more in Boston, and I'm toying with the idea of doing reviews and possibly adding some ads for a little extra money. As a college student, I don't want to burden my parents with my personal expenses, so as much as possible, I want to help out. We'll see.

What won't change is that I like Singapore. High school wasn't the greatest, but at least I didn't peak in it. However, I don't think I've ever really hated the lifestyle here. In fact, I'm going to miss it greatly. Where else in the world can I walk down the street to 10+ shopping centres and eat whatever I'd like? Where else can I feel this safe? Where else has the variety and the opportunities that Singapore had for me?

Singapore, I'm glad I was sent here.


Check out my new blog: www.natillie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment