Monday, July 21, 2014

The 25kg Monster

It's big. It's purple. It weighs what feels like half a ton. It only moves on two "legs".

That's right folks, it's my suitcase. I've managed to stuff most of my wardrobe into a big purple monster that's going to fly within a week all the way from Singapore to the US. To be honest, I had no idea how many clothes I had until the suitcase started getting full. Then I started thinking. 

I am so incredibly lucky that I've been able to live in Singapore. When I was walking home today from baking a cheesecake with the lady I used to work for, I considered how amazing things really are for me. I've been to more foreign countries than US states, something I'm pretty impressed with. I have fantastic clothes from places people haven't even heard of, and I've see crazy things. 

I've also learned that the more you see, the easier it is to put one's own life into perspective. We think we are the heroes of amazing journeys, but in fact are little more than tiny units in this big world. There are paths that will never cross and places that may never be discovered. We are so small. Moving to Singapore expanded my horizons and in many ways shrunk my belief of self-importance. 

So even as I pack to leave this island, I think about how lucky I am to have been able to live a charmed life, which few people can ever say they truly did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment